Wednesday, September 26, 2007

that midterm was way too easy

Have a pretty good day.Still can't really sleep at night.I hate when the insomnia comes back.I have been slacking in school but that is the same as always.I have been really excited about becoming a midwife and found out that there is a big midwifery conference next spring in King of Prussia.I really wanna go even though it's really expensive and someone needs to teach how to drive before then so that I have a way to get there.
Things are going pretty well here even though I am more of an obnoxious American than I have ever been in my life. When ever I am with any of the other black students people stare us down.Especially the women...I am pretty sure that people are used to seeing less black women than men.At this point we are all pretty sick of it.So that is annoying but not unexpected. My Japanese still sucks which is facilitated in part by my slacker tendencies, my english speaking university, my english speaking house, the incompetence of my Japanese teacher, and the fact that when I speak Japanese to people or try to they answer me in English.Blimey!Except for like two days ago.I can ask for the time very clearly and so I say it very naturally which meant someone started a conversation with me that I had no clue how to finish.Good times.
On a more positive note I had my first Hot Yoga class today and it was cool.Well you know what I mean(corny). I really liked it and didn't really worry about the woman next to me who was beyond flexible.Flexibility isn't my strong point and I am hoping this helps.I am gonna go two times a week cause that is all my schedule allows for but it should be good. Tuesday/Thursday used to be solo adventure days but that got pricey and I have trips to pay for.
The teacher was really great and used hand signal and demonstration to communicate what was happening.I guess languages develop out of need to know basic things and then evolved because of the desire to know and share more.
Back to my goals.So getting to Japan was quite a feat and took some planning. But I am having a good time and more importantly I feel like I can plan any trip I want.So I got invited to Venezuela in January to visit the Abster, I have some standing invites for Cali, and I got invited to Kenya for soring break.I am gonna make at least one of those things happen. But the really big goal is something Brian had talked about after I googled it and got excited as I do often...an around the world trip.I've decided that I am gonna go in 2010.The term is used loosely most people on round the world tickets don't actually go all the way around. But there is a whole online community built around this stuff.My plan is to start in south asia, head to southeast asia, then head overland to China, take the trans-Mongolian to Ulan Bator and then The trans Siberian to mOscow. From there work my way through Europe.In Europe I would stay with friends, friends of friends, and family of friends. Africa deserves it's own trip because as I keep reminding people here AFRICA IS NOT A COUNTRY!
It is easy for me to map things like this in my head because I am psycho and have spent so much time looking at map and thinking that I could pull any number of routes out of my head but couldn't place the countries on the map.I am off to look at a southeast asai travel guide when I should be studying

Also i know I still need to put up those pictures.

3 comments:

christie said...

Love hearing how things are going for you... I like how your mind works, what you observe, and how you write about it... miss you. Would love to do a mini with you if your ever able to... love, christie

Lucky Bito said...

ulan batur? *tear* ps, the colors of your blog make my vision go all stripey.

Unknown said...

good to hear you're continuing to dream and keeping good perspective on Africa (*mutter mutter*). Keep the Japanese up.