Thursday, September 6, 2007

Because Michal asked me to

So this is my first official blog post from Japan.Life has been relatively uneventful.I have settled in nicely but have not really done much that was exciting. I anticipate that life will get more exciting.I know everybody has this sense that Tokyo is a crazy place but i feel like I am living here instead of visiting and that kind of makes any place less crazy.I think that is sort of a tourist association with the surface level of things.I'd like to be a little less shallow.There are definitely some things that are strange to me but have you ever tried to explain what a water ice is from someone outside of the tri-state area?
I have some friends that I kick it with and they're are really nice guys.
We are experiencing a typhoon which is distinct from a monsoon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane.
I went to The Hie Shrine which is just a little bit down the ways from my apartment. It's enshrined to Oyamakui-no-kami the of Mount Hie.It was totally beautiful.I couldn't read any of the signs but I got a little pamphlet in English and took some pics.At first I felt weird and was like would I take pics in a church and then I decided that I would an have.
It was a totally calm place and I would love to go back there on a nicer day. Although to be honest today was pretty great.The wind was whipping and it was lightly raining and it seems like just the perfect kind of day for being at a place of worship...with nature reminding me how tiny you are.I love that feeling it makes me wanted to write. Also there were ravens everywhere I walked today and I felt like they were stalking me.To be fair they are everywhere here and so it probably wasn't personal but it was kind of creepy.Went I went to the shrine it was super deserted except for some random European tourist...there are always European tourists...but I felt pretty safe which is counter to my east coast female mentality.
Okay so I am dragging this out.I will post more tomorrow or the day after.

1 comment:

Brandon Young said...

Creepy shrine, ravens flying all around, and random white people. My east sensibilities would have told me take my silly self right the hell away from all that. You brave my friend. So, I have indeed tried to explain the concept of water ice to these Californian people, no luck beyond "it's kinda like a snow cone". They just don't get it